Ok, so you're probably thinking...what the heck is wrong with her? Two posts in one day after a month-long vacation? Well, lets just say that it is pure inspiration! As you all know, Senator Barak Hussein Obama, Jr. (oh no, how dare I use his full name) is the Democratic nominee for President of the United States of America.

I am very proud that over the last 44 years we (Black Americans) have gone from staging boycots and sit-ins in a fight for freedom and equality in the "land of the free" to watching a black man grace news (and other) stations in a poised, composed manner and say--with utmost confidence--that he will be the next President.
Nevertheless, as a black woman, I can't help but keep my eye on Mrs. Michelle Obama. She is a wife, a mother, and a professional. She stands by her man and supports him with her quiet confidence and trust. You can see in her eyes that she has utmost faith in him. What a wonderful, respectable family! I believe that the Obamas are set to serve as a model for what a black family can be. Black fathers aren't always absent. Black mothers aren't all on welfare. Period.
It is time that this country sees a functional black marriage and family on television every day (a real one, not just the Huxtables). This is a young man with a wife, two daughters, an entire political party (and hopefully most of the electoral college) who support him in his effort to lead this country and restore some sense of pride for all Americans, not just the rich ones...not just the evangelicals.
As I look at the two beautiful little girls in the picture above, I can't help but think about the one growing in my belly. I am so happy to be able to bring a child into the world, into this country, and to be able to tell her that someone who looks like you is smart enough, kind enough, clever enough, passionate enough, and influential enough to run the country. If Senator Obama takes the Presidential seat, there will be millions of little brown girls and boys who add "President" to their list of things to be when they grow up. 

There is no limit to what my daughter can do in life. I believed that before last night, but now--hopefully--she will not grow up knowing what it feels like to see the same face staring back at you from behind the podium every 4 years. She will not be discouraged from voting because she feels like her true voice will never be heard.
Heck, she can be President!
Heck, she can be President!

0 comments:
Post a Comment