9.05.2008

Dialation and White Rugs

Wednesday at work I was feeling really uncomfortable the entire day. I didn't know why at the time, but I just couldn't sit still! Everything hurt, my hips, my stomach, my back...everything.


Fast forward to Thursday (my regular appointment days). I'm in the hot seat at the OB's office and she proceeds to start an exam. Out of her mouth pops the phrase: "Well, it looks like you're 2 centimeters already"

So, I'm thinking:
"YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME "
(but she wasn't)
So I say:
"TWO WHAT?"

and she goes:
"Two centimeters, maybe a bit more"...

So, I know I my first thought should have been of sheer joy, but all I kept thinking was:
"BUT I HAVE A MEETING TOMRROW AT 5PM...I CAN'T BE IN LABOR ALREADY...AND I HAVE TO GET MY EYEBROWS THREADED...AND I HAVE TO WASH MY HAIR AND PACK A BAG AND I'VE ALWAYS WANTED TO TAKE A PROFESSIONAL PREGNANCY PHOTO AND WHEN IS THE LAST TIME I SHAVED MY LEGS??!!!"

She reassured me that some women can be dialated 2 cm for a week or more, so I shouldn't get myself too worked up. But, just in case, guess what I did this morning? I washed my hair, got my eyebrows threaded and took a pregnancy photo!!!
I know this is incredibly bootleg of me, but I don't have access to a scanner right now. So, I just took a picture of the picture so you could see it...
All the while I was at the photo studio, I kept thinking, "oh my goodness, what if my water breaks on this pretty white rug that I'm siting on? Will they charge me extra?"

6 comments:

Amy said...

AHHH!!! Baby will be here anyday now! You look beautiful!

This post cracked me up by the way. :)

Ali said...

I love it! I am just so excited to see the post: baby is here! Please let me know if there is anything you need in the 11th hour. And 2 cm is 2 fewer cm you have to dilate when the time finally comes.

Silky Jess said...

That picture is great--you really do look gorgeous and oh so happy. I love that you had all those thoughts when you heard you were dilated. Such is life for a working pregnant woman. I hope your little one joins the world soon.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ranata, it's Ruhi. I'm assuming you will remember me 'cause who who else do you know with the name Ruhi. Anyway, I had my first child ,a boy, on July 27, 2008. I'm so exicted for you. My son was 9 days early and on the way to the hostipal(sp?) all I thought about was my hairy legs and the poor midwife who had to deal with it! Anyway, I had enjoy reading your posts and can't wait for the big day. Take care and God bless!

Nadi said...

Thank you everyone for your gracious compliments and well wishes. I'll definitely try mya quick post before we leave for the hospital.

Ruhi,
If you read this, please email me at rforten@sph.emory.edu ASAP...
I would love to talk to you, It's been so long!

The Mind Whisperer said...

Where is my picture???