9.03.2008

Thanksgiving...

As most of you know, my family is from New Orleans. This will be a quick post, but I just wanted to let everyone know that my family is doing well these days. Everyone evacuated in time (some, almost too late) and is in the process of figuring out when to go back home to assess the damage. I don't anticipate there being too much to recover from this time around (thanks be to God), but it was really touch and go for a minute, especially on Friday and Saturday when everyone was packing up to leave their homes...again. My uncle actually told me that he had been trying to pack for hours and he was just so out of it because he couldn't figure out what to bring. You see, last time he packed a few pair of shorts and some t-shirts and ended up not being able to go back home for 8 months! The raw emotion, tension and fear were palpable.

Nevertheless, things are slowly getting back to normal for my family. But I can't help but consider all the other families out there who lost loved ones 3 years ago and this week due to hurricaines and other natural disasters. My family has truly been blessed. Everyone is alive and in relatively good spirits, so I can't ask for anything more. I am so thankful.

On the baby front, I am 38 1/2 weeks along (yes, I am now counting half-weeks since I somehow feel that adding the 1/2 will make this baby come quicker). I have another weekly appointment tomorrow and I'm considering asking the doc if she'll do another ultrasound to exploit my baby's genetalia. I'm starting to get the feeling that this baby is not a girl after all. Why, you ask? Because, according to everyone that I know who was born before 1965, I am not "carrying like a girl." I have a basketball attached to my front and apparently girls don't look like that. I have also hilariously been informed that because of growth in some areas (i.e. my hips) and not in others (i.e. my arms and nose) I am clearly carrying a boy. Oh, and I never got sick or had super strange cravings, which are also other indications of boy (not really, these are just the things I've heard). Since my belly has announced itself to the world, not one person has stopped me on the street (or in the grocery store, since I'm not usually just wandering around in the streets of Lawrenceville) and said "Oh, are you having a girl?" Quite the contrary in fact. EVERY SINGLE PERSON who has commented on my belly size/shape has said "You're having a little boy, right?"
So, should I be concerned? I mean, don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a boy or a girl...heck, at this point, I'd love ANY baby that wasn't pressing into both sides of my rib cage and wreaking havock on my bladder...and hips...and tailbone...and lungs! The problem is that I have already washed all the baby clothes (and bedding and blankets, etc.) and most of this stuff is PINK!!!
Argggh!!!!

Ok, so this has turned out not to be a quick post. To sum it up, my family is doing well, I am incredible grateful, and I am ready for this baby girl (or boy) to be born...ASAP.

3 comments:

Amy said...

R - I am glad your family is ok..again. It is going to be anyday now with that baby! You look fabulous (from the side)!

Crystal Artis said...

i always leave these sappy comments that read 'i love you!' and 'you're beautiful!' and 'i miss you!' but i don't care.

all of the above are true and i'm glad the fam is doing well. good post and keep posting! (though i'm not sure how long this'll last with kr on the way. i'll appreciate it while i have it!)

love ya, miss ya, and i think you're beautiful. see ya next week.

Silky Jess said...

A lot of people told me I was "carrying high" and looked like I was going to have a boy, and look how that turned out! I would go with the technology over the guesses. Actually, though, we started worrying during the last month too that maybe they had just missed something in the sonogram and a boy was going to come out to all these pink clothes!

I'm so glad to hear your family is safe.