So, for those of you who are nursing moms (or soon-to-be nursing moms), BEWARE of clogged pipes!!! I have a nasty case of clogged ducts. I mean, it's really impressive. You can actually see the lumps under my skin!!! I was really caught off guard because this happened literally overnight!!!
I have spent the last two days on the phone with the wonderful LCs at Northside and DeKalb medical. I have also revived my relationship with green cabbage leaves and warm wet diapers...no, not soiled diapers you disgusting person! I take clean diapers and load them up with warm water and use it as a warm compress because it stays warmer longer than a washcloth...(thanks, kellymom). In efforts to avoid mastitis at all costs, I have been vigilant about nursing and pumping on the affected side, massaging before and after feedings/pumping sessions. So far, I think it's getting better, but things like this really make me look forward to the magical 6th month when nursing is no longer nutritionally essential for my child (allegedly). I actually think that babies can benefit from breast milk much longer than 6 months, but there seems to be less pressure (read: guilt) if you wean after 6 months.
To add to my problems, I have been battling a cold and pertussis (not literally, but it sure as heck feels like it) for nearly a month. I think my baby--cute as she may be--is a symptom-free vector for infectious diseases...I am certain that every time I kiss her, microscopic organisms hop on board to have a party
Sidebar: Do you remember the episode of the Cosby show where Rudy takes OJ and crushed up asprin and proceeds to look down her shirt and say: "No more partying in there"? I wish I could do that and erase all my problems...
So, back to what I was saying...If my knowledge of human biology serves me correctly, this is how it works: Kids at daycare are sick, KR brings the germs home to me, my body does all the work and via nursing, she gets pumped up with antibodies which protect her from the kids at daycare......ah, mother nature is really wonderful, isn't she?
On another note, here are some pictures of my sweetie just for fun. These are from the past 3 mornings (I have vowed to take at least one picture of her every day). She's so happy in the morning...and she doesn't even need a cup of coffee to get her going! 
She is growing so much every day. I personally think she looks like me (see old picture below for proof)...
1.28.2009
Clogged Drains
Posted by Nadi at 1:24 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
i'm melting.
I kid you not--I have a clooged drain AND pertussis! Although, Miles definitely had a cold and gave me "pertussis." I cough all night (and wake him up), and now the coughing hurts the curdled milk jammed in some duct on the right side. I have actually had clogged ducts 2 other times, but this time it isn't going away as quickly. For me, nursing on the affected side as often as possible helped the most. That, and I tried to visualize the blockage vanishing. It is strange when it does clear up...all of a sudden, the area is soft again, but will feel bruised for a few days.
And I totally hear you on being able to see it through the skin. It is like this puckering akin to cellulite or something.
Motherhood is grand, no?!?
Keep taking pictures of your sweetie. She so so yummy!
KR, can you possibly get any cuter?! I think you look like your mommy AND your daddy, but definitely more like mommy. Can't wait to play with you in June!
Renata, so sorry to hear of the clogged duct. I never had the chance to know your pain but can imagine it's horrible. I've also had the coughs and colds. Each cough lasted at least 4 weeks. Samir caught the first cold, but escaped the second. Lucky duck!
Check out bebe balima's page. We went to Victoria Falls last week, so I'll be posting some photos of the trip. We were in Livingstone for work. Doesn't my job have nice perks?!
Kisses-
leia
Thanks for your comment on my blog. I appreciate that! Your blog is great! It's so relatable...I have been "clogged" in that area before...painful! :)
melanie
Post a Comment