7.02.2009

Keeping up is hard to do...

As the title of this post suggests, my blogging sabbatical is not--I repeat NOT-- my fault!
I have been thrown into the lion's den (a.k.a. the world of raising a near-toddler).
KR is almost 10 months old and she's like the energizer bunny.
She still pretty much refuses to crawl. She has perfected the wounded soldier crawl, by lying on her belly, legs straight out and using only her elbows and toes to drag her where she wants to go...it's pretty funny to watch. Last week I sneaked in the den when she wasn't expecting to see me and I saw my baby crawling perfectly on her hands and knees...only when she spotted me, she reverted back to her basic training stance!
Walking is actually coming along faster than crawling. We officially have a "cruiser" on our hands, meaning that she can hold on to furniture, walls, your legs, etc. to walk clear across a room to whatever toy (or dangerous item) she previously spotted. On several occasions, she couldn't make reach the next closest thing-to-hold-on-to, so she let go, and either stood there in disbelief for a couple of seconds, or she took a step or two toward said structure...she has also "walked" from me to "Dada" three or four times, all of these incidents usually end up in falling on her bum, however.
Maybe one day soon we'll have a real-live walker amongst us!




In other news, we will be closing on a new house in two weeks. We are totally capitalizing on the crappy but soon-to-be awesome housing market. The new house is huge, really, everyone will have their own room (including KR, finally!!!) and we will have a game room as well as a guest room!!!
I'm so thankful for the many blessings that are being handed our way.
It's so strange to be excited about getting such a great deal on a house, because I know that someone had to lose it! Nevertheless, this is a wonderful thing for our family...not to mention for me. I'll be 15 minutes away from work!!! And for anyone who has ever lived in Atlanta, you know how amazing that is...woohoo!

Anyway, the new house needs new carpet and paint...we're preparing for a "paint party" after closing and went to HD to scout out some materials that will make our overwhelming task easier. (Note: to my few readers, if any of you have any good time-saving painting tips, please leave them in the comments section...oh, and FYI, I've already checked out the new Behr paint with "primer in the mix"...it's a bust, total waste of $ since most times you'll have to prime anyway).
Warning to other readers, I fear that for the next several months, my blog will turn into a home improvement newsletter. We are working on several small projects now to prepare for the move, such as painting old furniture for the girls' new rooms. They wanted a new look, but I didn't want to spend more $ on new bedroom sets since they are quickly approaching teenagedom and I know we'll have to upgrade in a couple of years. We are painting the beds and dressers black...it sounds kind of morbid, but it's really adorable, especially with pink and chalkboard walls!!! I'll post pictures later.


One of the other things I've been scouting is an old-fashioned, wooden high chair. My poor baby got her first high chair at 9 months of age...why, do you ask? Because her mom is a psychopath who has a weird aversion to plastic high-chair trays.
You might be as surprised as I was, but even the new wooden high chairs have plastic trays...wth???
So, I found a "vintage" chair (circa 1981) via craigslist and, as you can see, it's a hit!!!
I'm going to paint this black as well and I'd like to add a white monogram on the headrest (again, I'm soliciting suggestions on the monogramming part...I have no idea how to do this...stencils maybe?)



random cutie pie picture...much love for baby Spelman College t-shirts and denim shorts!!!


Last week, only a few hours after finding out about MJ's death, I was reluctantly dragged out to a Braves game. I was reluctant not because I was in serious morning of the King of Pop (although he will be missed), but because it's summer in Atlanta and baseball is an outdoor sport!!!
Nevertheless, the 7pm breeze kicked in and KR, E, TH and I had a fantastic time...I would do it again in a heartbeat. We had awesome seats just to the right of home plate.



The Braves got predictably slaughtered by the Yankees, but KR really enjoyed the crowd...she couldn't take her eyes off the commotion on the field and the screaming fans were a huge hit...every time they screamed, she chimed right in clenching both fists...I really wished I had my camera to take a video!



That's it for now...please leave comments on home improvements if you have any good ideas.















2 comments:

Amy said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE that wooden high chair.

the one tip that I have regarding painting is that quality paint is worth it - the Behr paint is good. We got some cheap-o ceiling paint and it took like 3 coats to do the job, whereas good paint doesn't. And if you hate painting as much as me, the less coats you have to put on the better! :)

I would also get samples and paint sections of your walls to see if you like the color with the lighting in your house. Some of our colors i really hate b/c of how the light hits them (or doesn't). I picked colors based on how i liked them on the paint chips - BAD MISTAKE. :) Lesson learned.

Silky Jess said...

I completely agree with Amy about Behr and trying the actual paint. We have also used Glidden. If you ask, Lowe's (and probably Home Depot) will give you tester sizes. They cost $6 or so, as I recall, and they are absolutely worth the money.

KR is SO freakin' adorable. I love the combat crawl. Ella rarely does it but when she does, we just laugh. And, I'm impressed she's standing/walking already. The girl is ahead of her time.

Hope you and the family enjoy the new digs.